On-Demand Webinar: Going Beyond Calm-Water Resistance Curves
CFD Modeling and Design Optimization of Fast Watercraft for Superior Maneuvering and Seakeeping Performance
Presenter: Miles Wheeler, Marine Application Specialist, Siemens Digital Industries Software
Calm-water resistance curves were once the state-of-the-art technology for designing ships, boats, personal watercraft, and all manner of vessels. Moving from scaled tow-tank testing to full-scale, full-vessel CFD has been a major step forward. However, today’s designs demand even more: time-dependent, accurate simulations of maneuvering and seakeeping scenarios with dynamic models for power packages, including electric drives, combined with automated workflows and optimization.
This value is enabled by Siemens’ advanced CFD technology in Simcenter STAR-CCM+. Recent additions to STAR-CCM+ include Parameters and Responses shared bidirectionally through the NX CAD Client, simulation operations, advanced and easy-to-use dynamic fluid-body interaction (DFBI) models, adaptive mesh refinement (AMR), and seamless integration with other complementary Simcenter products. These capabilities enable fully integrated solutions for conceptual design, system modeling, detailed design, engineering analysis, design optimization, and manufacturing, including specialty simulation and manufacturing applications for fiberglass hulls.
Join ATA Engineering, Inc., to learn about fast watercraft performance prediction and design optimization with Simcenter STAR-CCM+. Topics to be covered include the following:
- Fast and easy calculation of basic performance parameters: speed prediction, resistance calculations, and dynamic sinkage and trim calculations using the built-in Design Manager tool
- Use of a parameterized model for predicting performance of a planing hull crossing oblique waves (roll, pitch, heave) for different wave sizes, frequencies, and vessel speeds
- Incorporating a dynamic propulsion model with Siemens Simcenter Amesim
- Calculating the impact of wind on vessel performance and stability
- Design optimization enabled by Parameters and Responses integrated with the NX CAD Client
- How cloud-based solutions multiply productivity and enable automated design optimization and data generation
Presented by Miles Wheeler of Siemens Digital Industries Software, this webinar will demonstrate today’s state of the art in modeling and design optimization of fast watercraft for maneuvering and seakeeping.